Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Dark Eldar Reaver Jet Bikes



Here's some pics of my Dark Eldar Reaver Jet Bikes for my Kabal of The Endless Twilight. I used the same color palate as my Ravager and Voidraven. The only new things I did with the Reavers was to Airbrush the BladeVanes and use Armorcast Laser Muzzle effects for the engine bursts. I plan to do something similar with my Hellions as well.


























A word of warning to everyone out there. NEVER SPRAY CLEARCOAT IN HUMID WEATHER. After hours of work I sprayed and my revers looked like they were covered in dry milk. It was frightening and nerve wracking. But I was able to repair 90% of the damage by taking them inside to my basement in central air conditioning and spraying fine mists of the same clearcoat over top of the milky stuff. The fresh wet clearcoat ate away at the milky stuff and made it all clear again cause it was allowed to dry in cool low humidity environment.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I especially love the use of the blasts as engine exhaust - I wish I'd thought of that, they look spectacular and it really gives the models a sense of speed. I hear ya about the horrors of humidity and clearcoat. I'm constantly paranoid about temperature and humidity every time I seal a model. Glad you were able to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous models. I too really like the trails for the engines.

    Happy that you were able to fix the clear coat issue. I had a really bad experience once and I'm very cautious about the stuff anymore. What brand were you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments guys!

    @oni, I was using Krylon Matte, which has been my cleacoat of choice for years now and I never had a problem before.

    I think it was just too damn muggy the other night and I didn't factor that in when I started spraying. I like Army Painter clear too...but it's very flat ...almost too flat. I like clear coat to have a slight sheen too it cause I feel it punches the contrast up on the colors a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I really like the engine exhaust. The colors all go together very well. I bet they look great next to your raiders as well. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work yet again! The bases like before just push the already great model over the edge in my opinion. It just adds that extra little touch. Also a not subtle reminder that I should be painting a bit more often lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking lovely as usual. The bases really set them off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its always a good day, when you post updates to your Dark Eldar :)

    They look so sharp, and cohesive to the rest of the army.

    Great job!

    PS You have inspired me to keep going with my own DE. A blog will no doubt be forth coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd have never thought to use the muzzle flash bits in that way. Way to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

    @Ding-dang-dhu, I'm glad I can serve as inspiration. Get that DE blog going and shoot me the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. Not sold on the black flying stand but the bases, painting and the little exhaust thingy are ver nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on your furnace, air conditioner or water heater please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete