Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Armorcast Cinematic Effects Contest Entries


Armorcast is having a contest for their Cinematic Effects range again this year. This gets me excited as I often use their cinematic effects in my miniatures, mainly in my Dark Eldar Models. I decided to reshoot a few minis and submit. 





More info on the contest HERE







Dark Eldar Mandrakes Proxie Unit

Cinematic Effect Used:  ACFX012 Small & Medium Plasma Blasts (6 pcs)

For this Dark Eldar Mandrake Proxie Unit I wanted to convey the sense of disembodies spirits trapped inside uniforms. They were Eldar Occultists that experimented a bit too heavily with the Dark Arts. Spellcasters that have been disfigured by a misfortunate magical accident and are now stuck in some sort of limbo serving as assassins that emerge from the shadows. I used the armorcast Medium Plasma Blasts bits as the Baleblasts from 2 of the Mandrakes hands. I glued a skull to the front of the blast and used Greenstuff to blend it in.


More images of these models can be seen HERE and HERE








Dark Eldar Razorwing Jet Fighter

Cinematic Effect Used: ACFX011 / Heavy Laser Muzzle Flash

For this Dark Eldar jet I wanted to add an extra sense of speed and power. I used the Heavy Laser Muzzle flash as a Jet Engine effect instead of a weapon effect. The glows on the Cinematic effects pieces were achieved by airbrushing various shades of light blue and white mixed to achieve an OSL effect.


More images of this Razorwing and her sister ship can be seen HERE

A tutorial on how I painted the models can be seen HERE







Dark Eldar Reaver Jet Bike Unit

Cinematic Effect Used: ACFX009 / Medium Laser Muzzle Flash

For this Dark Eldar Jet Bike Unit, I wanted to add an extra sense of speed. I used the Medium Laser Muzzle Flash pieces as jet engine effects instead of a weapon effect. The glows on the Cinematic effects pieces were achieved by airbrushing various shades of light blue and white mixed to achieve an OSL effect.


More images of these models can be seen HERE


7 comments:

  1. Excellent! I've really enjoyed how you've used their cinematic effects on the DE, and with your awesome OSL work you're a shoe-in for the contest. Great stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll win something so I can buy more cinematic effects for the rest of my unfinished minis. it's a big cycle :P.

      Delete
  2. Really great work. It may seem to overstatement when compared to the excellent lighting effects, but I really dig the freehand embellishments on the Razorwing's wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, painting a lot of Dark Eldar has certainly steadied my hand :P

      Delete
  3. Awesome stuff! Usually I'm vary wary of the "cinematic effects" thing but your clever use of the pieces and excellent OSL painting is giving me second thoughts.

    Best of luck!

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave!

      Cinematic Effects when painted properly look so awesome, but they can easily look so wrong if someone doesn't handle them right. I'm glad you dig my OSL style :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work, I am charmed with the effect of the blue flames. Regards.

    ReplyDelete